Skip to main content

That Flaneur

The name’s Saaket Raman. I'm a Masters student at the University of Chicago studying Computational Social Sciences with an Economics concentration. Born and brought up in the United Arab Emirates and being an Indian myself, I have had the opportunity to interact with a diverse group of people, coming from different backgrounds. This makes me naturally inclined to observe, learn, and appreciate society. I find interest in every activity I take up, but being a flaneur is easily the most interesting.

I am currently a Research Assistant at the Environmental Neuroscience Lab and a Teaching Assistant for undergraduate Economics courses. Drawing from prior experience in urban economic consulting, I research the intersection of human behavior and community development. Particularly, I am interested in understanding how the external environment shapes economic mobility of low-income communities.

Beyond academia, I enjoy reading, photography, playing video games, and training in Olympic-style weightlifting and powerlifting.

Why am I doing this?

I launched this website in 2017 as a health and lifestyle blog. I found it apt to write about fitness back then as I was in a fitness transformation myself, eventually hoping to grow an online audience. Sometime soon, I realized that I neither had the appropriate credentials nor the wisdom to research credibly. Most importantly, I couldn’t let my creative writing run free. I have since changed this into a personal website.

Now, I write both blogs and articles: the former being an online journal for me to write informally about my experiences, observations, and thoughts I find interesting to share; and the latter being a platform for me to write about opinions and pieces backed by research. I simply write because I enjoy it. 

Let's talk!

For anything related to what I write, feel free to drop a short message in one of those “Contact Me” forms. If your message is long, you can also reach me via e-mail at thatflaneur@gmail.com. Alternatively, you can find me on Instagram at @thatflaneur (though I don't like using that platform anymore). I don't bite when approached nor am I secretly a reptile seeking world domination, so feel free to reach out :D

Popular posts

Speech and My Experiences With Stammering

Speech. Without a doubt, speech is one of the most powerful tools ever to be used in the world. History recounts numerous instances where one man’s word influenced a thousand minds – would it be Nazi Leader Adolf Hitler, or Former United States President John Fitzgerald Kennedy. As said by the American essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson, “ Speech is power: speech is to persuade, to convert, to compel ”. From a tender age of eighteen months, humans find speech to be a convenient medium of self-expression. But what about those individuals who have the inability to speak? What about those who are deaf-mute? Centuries ago, sign language was invented by a being whose identity is debatable. However, in 1771, Abbe Charles Michel de L’Epee opened the first free public school for the deaf in Paris; where he invented a sign language to foster and communicate with deaf-mute children who attended his school from around the country. While he may not have invented the concept of sign lang...

The False Image in The Mirror Created By The Mind: Body Dysmorphic Disorder

It was a little close to a couple of two weeks ago that I chose to do something I hadn’t done in a long time - Read the newspaper. My eyes skimmed through the headlines, till it stopped at one. It was at this point that my father asked me to read an article in the paper that was “ meant for me ”. Meant for me ? Considering the phrase came from my father, I concluded that the article he referred to here would be definitely related to social media. Lucky enough, the headline my eyes stopped at and the article my father was referring to, was the same. “ ‘Imagined Ugliness Syndrome’ affecting teens ”. Obviously, to begin with, I was in denial. Reading through the article didn’t change my mind either. However, my inquisitiveness led me to do some follow-up research did reveal what many people – young or old – would be going through. Chances are, you or someone you know would be going through the same. "What is this 'Syndrome' you speak about?" First terme...